Monday, June 13, 2016

Santiago this week!

We have arrived!!!! June 9, Santiago Compostela. The town that receives all our exhilaration of having completed our journey of over 500 miles! Our steps having reached the Cathedral at 1:35 p.m.

As we were working our way into the city centro, I was getting anxious, as I have visualized this moment of entry where I would see the tall ancient dome announcing to us, you are here at the place you have journeyed so far. Well done!  But as we continued what seemed like forever walking and winding through the city, my eyes were not finding the picture of my vision. Weariness was setting in as we had gone 14.34 miles and everything was saying we should be here.

Then just around the next corner- behold. The domes! I can see them!!! I am here! We have done it!!!
No tears, no outward bursts of joy! again as I had imagined. As we were quickly thrusted into finding the Compostela office to receive our certificate of completion. It was to be at the Cathedral, however, they are in the process of construction on the main entrance to the Cathedral, so we were routed off to a disjointed spot, where we met many other peregrinos who reached their journeys end. Congratulations was given to each as we embraced with hugs, big smiles and high fives!!! OMG!!! We are here, we are here, we ARE HERE!

Dropping our backpacks, we began the process of standing in line for an hour, 45. My feet were in agony. While waiting there was a welcoming little chapel off to the side, where I slipped in and it is here that my tears began to flow,  being received and understood.  Thankful for a safe journey. Blessed to have been able to do it and with Randy, my willing partner who I am so glad to have journeyed with.  Jubilation over our accomplishment. Sadness, as this part of our life's way is complete. Ever so grateful for God's gift to me as my constant divine guide, showing me the TRUE Way.

Having reached the counter where we provided our Compostela passport with all our stamps proving our walk of 500 miles. We were given our certificates with our names written in Latin. When I saw how she wrote Randy's name, I told her she misspelled it. No, she had written it in Latin!

Upon leaving the Compostela office, donning our back packs for the last time. We went to look for our B and B, Mafer. It took us a niggle but we found it sitting in a nice plaza called Plaza de Galicia! With Burger King only down the block! You know where dinner was eaten!

We arrived in Santiago a day earlier then our schedule. But, for the four days before our arrival we journey along our continued wooded path. Cedar wood, chestnut, and Eucalyptus. It was a welcomed scent for the duration of this week. The blends of the essence of each tree with wild flowers! Have they bottled this fragrance?

This week when walking, I realized three things that have hindered the view of my path:
  Rain off my glasses tends to give me a dreary, schmeared view.
  My body heat from energy expelled hitting the cool of the morning gives me a steamed up view
  And the view before me that I am not willing to see...

The Camino was quite populated as Santiago is within a short distance and everyone ready to reach it. It was a blessing to see so many walking to reach the same destination as we were. Buen Camino! Almost there!!!

We met a couple from New York while taking a rest. He said it was his dream to walk the Camino. His wife said, it has been her nightmare. I felt sad. Later as Randy and I were walking, he said that he had never played a part in helping to fulfill someone's dream until now! Thank you honey!!! You have been very much a part of this journey.

Certainly the region had changed the last week. We were leaving behind the smaller quaint villages that offered peace to our pace. Their churches being the first to greet us as they stood taller and more significant. To the bigger, modern cities. It is the newer parts of Santiago built out from the Cathedral, that blocked our view of the Cathedral's welcome.

We spent some time at the Cathedral. Which sadly is under construction. We think it is a cleaning they are doing. Scaffolding covers a portion of the front. Main entrance is not open. So all enter the side door. It is in the main entrance that the marble statue of St. James stands. 1166-1188. The Cathedral was called the House of St. James.

We attend mass Friday evening. It started at 7:30, but standing room only after 6:00. So we got there at five. Received a front row pew! Hard as a board, sitting for three and a half hours. But my view was perfect. I was able to take in the splendor of the architecture. Pondering for quite a while the high altar. Trying to make sense of it! It was random and for me, lacked the brilliance of the center point for displaying glory!

It is a four tier altar. First tier resides the gold figure of St. James. Many gemstones are placed in the fold of his body. It is behind this altar you may go up the stairs, walking behind St. James where many embrace him with a hug or some sort of touch.

The four tiers are held up by four huge angles. With the three remaining tiers of figures of two women, pilgrims and horses. A golden burst on the very top!

At 7:30 when mass began, it was opened with a song lead by a nun. Then a gentleman who was in a wheel chair, he was part of a team of 10 other wheelchairs and their support person, making a team of handicapable, presented to the Cathedral a team Tshirt in a frame. What a moment! Touching! Such courage, resilence and strength!

At the end of this service they swung the incense ball. My brain is not recalling the name of the incense ball. It starts with a B! It is said that it can go up to 70 miles per hour. It took several men to work the ropes as they swung the ball clear across the width of the Carhedral! Impressive! Smelt good too. It has been said that this was done during service to disguise the unpleasant order of the towns people. It is also said that it is done as an offering.

We will be heading to Finisterre where this will complete our journey's spiritual path.

I would say that Randy and I did practice the walk in the light of our vision!

Blessed and amazed beyond measure!

Love,
Randero and Ilenea







No comments:

Post a Comment