Monday, June 13, 2016

Finisterre the end of the world...

First, I would like to provide you with the name of the incense ball swung in the Cathedral. It is called the Botafumeiro or thurible.  Now I hope I have stopped you from having to look it up! 🤗
Looking out the French doors on the third floor of our B and B, my view rests on the two domes of the Cathedral, where just a few days ago, I wanted so desperately to see, now I have full access to gazing upon them!

Also taking within my line of vision below is a flow of people so like myself. Backpacks with many objects hung on it! walking sticks, sun glasses and walking shoes. They carry themselves with the same posture, I smile....
As I am so connected with the likeness of them. They are my brother and sisters of the Camino. They have shared the same shoulder space when we pass. The greeting voices as we pass "good way". "Buen Camino". Songs we sung together beautifully off key. Night times full of snores and rumblings. Toothpaste grins in the early morn.

I do not know any of them but we are connected! Each of us of common ground, making this journey our "personal way".

On to Finisterre- riding in a big blue and white luxury bus. Our guide for the day, Lorraina. Pointing Out small tidbits of information such as:
Two kinds of cows- black and white cows are for milk and owned by Austria. Brown cows, meat and fed the finest grain allowing them to taste excellent! They are owned by Galicia.
Textile is their biggest industry.
Scotch broom, which is prolific here has been used to sweep the floors of houses.

First stop before Finisterre was Muxia. A very small coast town where the ancient church sets on a bluff. It is here that St. James ended his ministry to the Spainards. As he believed that God told him to rest here. A short time later he was martyred for his faith.

In 2002, this small town was hit and sunk under tons of oil from a spill! It ruined the relics in the old church as well as almost all the buildings in the city. It took them several years to purge Muxia from all the oil. It is a beautiful peaceful spot. With the ancient church resilient and standing on the bluff.
There is a monument to the resilience of the town. Representing that nothing can divide the community and weaken the strength of those who have faith.

It is here in this place I buried my tokens I had carried the whole way. Laying them within the recesses of blooming succulents and ocean rocks. Praying as I left them there for God's grace and blessings to my prayers.  I also was privileged to carry a few things on my journey, given to me by friends, which I gave over to the covering of  Muxia. Having offered them up in prayer. Knowing God hears and sees the petitions laced with thankfulness for deep relationships. It was a few moments of quiet and ponderance as I placed my tears upon the rocks in remembrance.

Now arriving in Finisterre- the end of the world. As it was named by the Romans. As when they arrived at the coast, they thought it was the end of the world! Here is the 0 km Camino marker. The official end of Camino de Santiago.
As well as a big cross. It is in Finisterre that I left my shoes...in the crevice of rocks. As well as a token to my Jonathan. Releasing both as having been Supports in my life. I was glad for the oceans breeze blowing as it helped to blow my tears from my eyes.

Well as promised- I did eat octopus!! And she likes it! It really is good and I have heard the in the Galicia region fish is amazing. Yes it it!!!

On the ride back we stopped off at A waterfall where the only river in Europe that terminates into the sea as a waterfall.

We will be flying home on Tuesday. It will be nice to be home. See my grandgirls, kids and friends. Looking forward to sharing our "WAY".

"It is good to have journey toward; but, it is the journey that matters in the end"....E. Hemingway

The last from Spain!!!

Randero and Ilenea








No comments:

Post a Comment