Sunday, June 5, 2016

Light the "Way" Lord...

As of today, we are only 26.5 miles to SANTIAGO! Did we truly walk thus far?? Are we arriving so soon?

My emotions are playing havoc, confounding any clarity of thoughts. What have I left here? What am I taking with me?

Sitting outside our albergue, taking in the rock walls heavy with moss and cactus that have built my Camino path; so much has cemented the grains of our journey into my very core. I am transfixed by the beautiful, simple, and ever so fulfilling process of my way.

Looking at my feet in the brightness of the afternoon sun, they show little wear of the 475 miles we have come, having played a vital part of this miracle sojourney.

I have exchanged these three months shaped out of time to engage in different surroundings and take in a simpler view from the one left at home. This has truly been for my good! Having asked for eyes to see God's leading, opened to me was a journey that connected me and restored my soul.

On Wednesday, being my birthday, there was a quick moment that I was going to quit! Yes, there I said it. But for a moment, as what was waiting for me at the bottom was exhilaration!

Coming into Portomarin, we had to endure a part of the path that scared me at the top! For looking down..all I could see were huge rocks, with such drops in between that maneuvering down with our back packs and poles was a fall waiting to happen.  Apparently we MISSED the post that gave another option as this one was marked dangerous! There is no way! But, there is always a way!!

Randy taking the lead, we dropped to each rock we could place a foot on. No sure footing anywhere!!  Our packs wanted to throw us over! Holding onto Randy's arm at times, the side walls, we migrated our way down the obstacle that was set in this narrow way. My heart was beating and my mind was yelling, I am not sure I can do this! This is my birthday and I am too old to take this on! On my birthday!

Si, Senora, you could do it! From fear to exhilaration! Each challenge comes with the ability to overcome. And I needed that as after that crazy test, I was greeted with a set of 78 stairs straight up and under the arch to Portomarin. Having found this small town to be very charming and restful as we sat out looking over the lake there. And to think I was going to turn around and go back!

Birthday dinner: pizza with anchovies, fresh garlic and fresh tomatoes. I could have had octopus!
Cheese "ULLOA" is made here in this region. It is very mui delish! And lest to mention, octopus "pulpit Gallega" is famous. I plan on trying it upon entering the gate of Santiago. Taking that long to muster up th Hmmmph to try it.

The Region of Galicia continues to give pleasure to the eyes. The hillsides so embroidered with quiltings of patchwork landscaping. Trees, agriculture, scant houses. The industry here is cows. I can testify to support that as our path was populated with dung and our noses were bomblasted with the awful smell of fermentation of ????.

Had a pleasant walk with a man from South Africa, an actor! He has been touring Europe for eleven years with a production called RED EARTH. It is about South Africa. We talked about Shakespeare Festival in Ashland and New York. He would like to act at either of these venues.

Our continued path this week has been so beautiful. An avenue so pleasant and welcoming; graced by beautiful trees creating a peaceful shaded way for miles. The Camino now has become crowded as the season has begun and by walking the last 60 miles, you can obtain a Compostela.

The music this week was a guitar player and a bongo accompanying him. We sang the song, (lo siendo ) do not know the name, the lyrics are.." I'd like to teach the world to sing in perfect harmony".. Thinking about the songs I joined in on all along our journey, I have come to see them differently when given color and design from the Camino.

Continuing along our woodsy way, we notice the roofs are changing from black slate to red tile roofs, which for me,  makes the rocks walls so nice against the red roof.

We have stopped in Melide. A small town with population of 2,000. It is the merging place for the two Camino paths to come together. Camino Primitivo via Oviedo.

We had dinner at a place called Chaplin, after Charlie Chaplin. I gorged out on protein. Salmon and chicken. Kept telling the cook how good it was, as juice was dripping down my chin. Protein finally!

Today, we had a walk about in the wee town. It was so delightful, as their community growers market was taking place in the city centro. Many coming out from church, stepping into throngs of vendors and looky Lous like me! Veggies, homemade cheeses, underwear, zappatos, and such amazingly delicious breads! Whole grain, nuts and raisins. Mucho good!

What was just so touching to me in having taken the time to intermingle with this community: familia, many many familia out together. Fellowshiping, then visiting and ogling over the adorable kiddos. I am sure missing my four grand girls!! A glass of vino or cafe' shared.
There is something that sets well with me and I will always appreciate seeing this, where  the church sets beautifully in the centro...significant in bringing together the people.

We actually visited an very nice store where the owner made shoes and other leather goods! Primo!!! Craftsmanship. We were tempted.

We also stopped to watch the preparation of octopus, pulled out of a huge boiling pot, then sliced upon a plate, drizzled with olive oil and balsamic. They are RED! Yikes, my time to try it will be here on Friday.

Last week this coming week. Will be an emotional one for me for sure!

Buen Camino... Good way to each of you.

Love,
Randy and Ilene

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this marvelous journey; the ups and downs and victories . It has been so exciting to follow. see you soon and belated happy Birthday.

    ReplyDelete