Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Pamplona

Randy and I are staying in Hostel Hemingway here in Pamplona. It is where Ernest Hemingway stayed and did some writing on his book The Sun Also Rises. He returned here time and again to write and immerse himself in the culture of the bullfight, which he loved.   We are midway between the old city and new. This hostel has an eclectic kind of a feeling and look.  Blended years of themes, artists, music (in english) and bull festival posters from previous years. Kind of like our Britt Festival posters.

Pamplona, was founded in the first century B.C. It presently is the largest city of the running of the bulls festival. It takes place in July.  There is a rather large arena that sets in the middle of the old city where the bulls run wildly down the city streets into. Good Lord. This is disturbing!

We took a stroll through the modern section of Pamplona and will visit the old city and its amazing Cathedral and ancient history tomorrow. Their Siesta seems to hinder us at times, as here in this city, siesta is from 1¬1:30 to 3:30¬4:00.  Then they remain open until 8:00, which is our siesta time.

Randy said something odd as we were sharing a coffee and hot cocoa together. He has noticed Spanish women everywhere checking me out. I laughed, perhaps at my American attire, so not how the Spanish mujer dress here. They have a very feminine sense of style. No jeans thrashed at the knees. A lot of skirts with boots.

Or could it be, my completely free gray hair with swirlies all over, adorned with a purple Buff. One laughs at the wonder of it!

Did I fail to mention that I was introduced to two Frenchies, twins, same height and weight,  in St. Jean Pied de Port, who have become my best buddies, lending support where I have needed, always just an arms length away. Yes......my french walking sticks! I am so glad I have them!!! The Extreme brothers.

             If you want the RAINBOW, you´ve gotta put up with the RAIN- Dolly Parton

Love, Randy and Ilene

1 comment:

  1. you go girl setting style for the mature pilgrim on the path :)

    ReplyDelete