Sunday, April 24, 2016

A snail's pace...

Yesterday was an off day for me. Woke up with a headache and my blisters were bothersome. We headed out early from a small town Redecilla del Camino.
Everything closed early when we arrived and was not open when we left. Consequently, we were not able to get provisions for the day.

With out food, a headache and blisters I was trudging along the way. Spying a snail that was doing the same, I smiled as I so related to that snail. It's lovely spiral shell, my Rosa jacket. It's feelers, like mine, gray tendles spiking out of my purple buff. Our bodies both sluggish as we look out at how far we need to go and how little advance we had made. A smile again, no worries snail, we will make it to our days destination! You just watch out for that boot!!

It was not far on our path that we heard the sounds of jazz! Yes, there was a saxophone busting out its  music with invitation to join in with any jazz step you want! I so wanted to, but, again, blisters have a way of impeding the temptations of the foot to jive!!!

I did make 7.44 miles, having found sustenance about two miles before we came into Belorado. Making it just before the huge down pour!

This is were we will spend our Sunday's rest. It is the home of  four 16th century churches.

Rolling back to Monday of this week: we left Logrono heading to Navarette. Stayed the night. Tuesday we arrived at Najera, Wednesday, Azofra and the to Santo Domingo. Where we were hoping to stay at the convent Abadia Cistercienses. Vespers were offered at 18:00. Sadly, it was closed till May. Staying in an albergue with 250 beds! Eighteen to a room!!!

We took a leap of faith and sent our packs ahead of us to Santo Domingo. 5€ each. We took our valuables in another light weight ruck sack I had packed from home. This day of journey was so easy! Could get used to this. We decided to do this once a week or when Randy's foot is unbearable. Which on longer days that is the case. And do you know what??? Oscar and Olive (our packs) were there before us! Glad to see them!

Santo Domingo is another ancient town with winding streets. It actually was challenging getting out. From here we stayed Friday night in Redecilla del Camino.

Coming out of Logrono- Randy kissed me at the top of our small climb with tears in his eyes as he said that he was glad he was doing this with me. There is now balance in our rhythms.

Arriving in Azofra, we had only five miles to walk in the pouring rain. I think it is worse when rain
runs off the hood of my jacket, onto my glasses and then down my checks. And that the view before me is not clearly seen nor enjoyed!! All the while the rain is trying to seep into my shoes...not happening! Having those plastic covers designed back in  Zubiri.

The albergue here was a nice facility. 60 beds in cubicles of two! Nice and private sleeping area!
I would say that the community gathering was a most convivial atmosphere. There was a young man with his guitar playing as all joined in in song! Oldies but goodies! English of course.

The Camino is broken up into nine regions. Thus far we have gone through the Narvarra region,  La Rioja, and now we are be in the Castilla y Leon region. The Meseta is predominantly flat plateau region which lies just ahead of us.  Each region is breathtaking! Many many fields of crops. Peas, something that looks like onions, vineyards, lush rich soil that is such a compliment to the various shades of greens.

To our great excitement, we saw a hot air balloon over the horizon along the mountain peaks. I was so thrilled! So very glad we did not miss it! I was pointing it out to others as they were walking past so they would not miss it!

A tender moment for me this week was when we shared our breakfast with a young woman from South Korea. It consisted of  Baby Bell cheeses, breadsticks and olives. She was so reserved at first, but, persistence won out. Her face showed strangely as she took her first bite of
Cheese, followed by shear pleasure of the bread stick!! The ordinary eating of green olives.
She was truly appreciative and we had a connected moment placed in the crevice of The Way. Where kindness is the only thing of value to offer to another.

I am sitting in a cafe, on my second cup of coffee; watching the comings and goings of activity blends of peregrinos,  this place and marvel that we have come thus far... 162 miles. We placed our first step on the Camino March 31. Have taken off six days and not to the end of April yet. I would wish our pace to be quicker. But...it is our journey and we are in rhythm.

All is well. My spirit continues to soar, my soul at peace and undisturbed by discomfort of my body.

Much love,
Elenea and Randero









No comments:

Post a Comment